Priory Primary School, Dudley is a local authority owned school, dating back to the 1930 and catering for 550 pupils. Due to the ageing condition of the existing heating infrastructure, TDR (Mechanical Services) Ltd were employed in 2016 to carry out substantial refurbishment works to the systems.
The first phase of the project was the complete replacement of the main plant room and these works were carried out over the school summer holiday period. A specialist asbestos contractor was employed to carry out a full environmental clean of the area. Once a certificate of re-occupation was issued TDR proceeded to remove the redundant plant and pipework. The new installation was carried out over the proceeding 5 week period and comprised of the following:
- 2no. Hoval Ultragas 300kw boilers (within remote plant room)
- 1no. Hamworthy Dorchester 630 gas fired water heater
(within main plant room)
- 1no. Boiler shunt circuit c/w Grundfos Magna 3D 80-120 pump
- 2no. V.T. heating circuits c/w Grundfos Magna 3D 65-150 pumps
- 1no. C.T. heating circuit c/w Grundfos Magna 3D 32-100 pump
- 2no. 600litre expansion vessels & pressurisation unit
- Installation of flue system
- Installation of a new BMS system
- Upgrade of external incoming gas pipework to 125mm MDPE
The second phase of the project was to replace the internal heating system pipework and radiators within the ‘upper’ part of the school, comprising of sixteen classrooms and the main school hall. The works were carried out two classrooms at a time to facilitate the school’s needs, as they had to remain open during the works. Portable gas heaters were supplied, as a source of temporary heating whilst the works were carried out. The new installation comprised of the following:
- 700m heavy grade steel LPHW pipework
- 36no Jaga Guardian LST radiators
- 2no. Biddle Forceflow fan convectors
- 140m Pendock style pipe boxing
Whilst writing, can I just say I am exceptionally pleased at how well the replacement heating contract has gone with yourselves. I have already said this to Andy Humphries, TDR are undoubtedly the best contractors we have had the pleasure to have on site, and particularly doing a big project with a school that has remained open.
Everything has gone very smoothly, we have been well informed, your operatives on site are very professional, flexible and most helpful. They have accommodated all of schools needs with as little disruption as possible. Please pass on my thanks to all concerned.